Friday, May 25, 2007

cameras...

... for taking pictures of bird-dogs. I have a small dilemma and sufficiently limited cashflow that I can't just go buy another camera. All this bloggery has me thinking that maybe it's time to finally take the bull by the horns and go digital.

My dilemma is that I have a very nice 35mm set-up and a nice medium-format set-up. They both take great pictures, but neither is especially spontaneous. But the medium-format was never intended to be and I love looking down into a waist-level finder on a TLR. Between that and thinking in squares (rather than rectangles), I just find myself composing pictures differently. However, the 35mm takes gorgeous color slides and, frankly, can make good enlargements up to 16x20". So do I need the extra resolution on a 120-format camera? Probably not. But if I need a portable, point-and-shoot, why not sell the 35mm and keep the 120-format for exactly what I bought it for (tripod-based, largely posed portraits and still-lives)?

No comments: