Wednesday, July 25, 2007

all merry hell...

Dopes in Cycling #1: Kudos to Team Rabobank. Whether he doped or not, Michael Rasmussen lied to his team and to the UCI about where he was training... so they've fired him. Maybe he is clean... in which case he won two stages in this year's race in incredible fashion. But when there's a shadow of a doubt, well done to Rabobank for canning him.

Dopes in Cycling #2: I still want to like this guy... Floyd is a notorious grump, Ivan Basso is a wishy-washy, lousy poker player (i'm sure), and Jörg Jaksche got paid handsomely to spill his beans... but Vino actually has a one-liner in response to his disappearance from the Tour: ""I heard that I made a transfusion with my father's blood. That's absurd, I can tell you that with his blood, I would have tested positive for vodka."

Dopes in Cycling #3: Had dinner with Meg's friend from work, John. A cynic if ever there was one but he did remind me of the speculation that steroid use may have contributed to Lance Armstrong's testicular cancer. While I rarely rely too heavily on FoxNews, there's at least one reporter there who thinks that speculation is bunkus. Here's something a little more scientifically based. Now Lance is either one of the greatest athletes of all time (and he had a consistently great team around him, as well) or one of the greatest masterminds at cheating. As I've said before, I'm an optimist, maybe naive, but if I'm wrong I'm not going to whine about it.

In other news: Turkmenistan is poised to become the Dubai of the Caspian. This revelation from the BBC that the new free-market city on the seaside is to be called Turkmenbashi. Yeah, baby! What would Turkmenbashi do? Build a giant gherkin in the ocean.

In much more reasonable news: this picture was taken this morning on our walk.

No comments: