Friday, August 31, 2007

pro-wrestling now as credible as pro-cycling

Pro-wrestling: In a previous blog, I expressed some consternation at George Vecsey, sports editorial writer for the NYT, for calling professional cycling as 'bogus' as professional wrestling. Needless to say, I quickly dispatched him with a piece of two-cent psychoanalysis and suggested he shouldn't take his personal feelings of betrayal out on professional cycling.

In sad, but not altogether shocking news, Worldwide Wrestling Entertainment has suspended 10 superstars after receiving information from the Albany County prosecutors office that said 10 wrestlers had allegedly been clients of the Signature Pharmacy in Orlando, FL, purchasing various supplements of an anabolic kind. I haven't found an official news source that lists all 10 wrestlers, but this person claims to know.

I think we can now safely say that the WWE is not only the first US-based sports organization to do something major and public about the use of steroids in its ranks, but can now reasonably claim to be almost as credible as professional cycling.

I think I saw Barry Bonds wearing a Randy Orton t-shirt today. Looked small on him.

Pro-cycling: the Vuelta a EspaƱa kicks off tomorrow! The last of the Grand Tours of 2007. In much the same way, and for obvious reasons, where Italians really show up for the Giro, Spaniards tend to go out for their home tour. And I don't know these guys half as well.

I'll be bold in my predictions and will hopefully a) not be disappointed by a bunch of drug-addled, pro-wrestlers masquerading as cyclists and b) come out glorious in my fantasy cycling league. The top-4 for the Vuelta will include Carlos Sastre (CSC), Cadel Evans (Predictor-Lotto), Denis Menchov (Rabobank), and Stijn Devolder (Discovery).

No comments: